Here And Now
Taking Care of Your Hearing Aids
Hearing aids are a significant investment, not just monetary but also for your overall wellbeing. To get the most out of your aids, it is important to clean and maintain them regularly.
Our audiologists can assist with setting up your aids and some companies will service them within a certain timeframe, however there are things you can do at home every day to take care of your hearing aids.
- Establish daily habits – Wash your hands thoroughly before cleaning your hearing aids. Take your hearing aids out when showering and washing your hair so soap cannot damage them. Put your hearing aids in after applying hair products.
- Clean your hearing aids before bed – Cleaning your aids before you go to bed gives them chance to air before you put them in again. Avoid wipes that contain chemicals or alcohol as this can damage the device.
- Avoid extreme temperatures – Keep your aids inside if you are venturing out in extreme cold or heat.
- Invest in proper cleaning tools – Getting the proper tools means you will be able to clean your aids at home without causing them damage. A wax pick and brush are ideal for removing wax from the end of a hearing aid.
Cleaning your aids
In The Ear
1) Focus cleaning the openings in the device with a soft bristle brush to clear away built-up wax. Hold the opening of your are cleaning facing down so any loose particles fall out of the aid rather than staying lodged inside.
2) Use a wax pick or hook to clear anything out of the holes that wasn’t removed with the brush.
3) Wipe the entire device with a clean, dry cloth to remove debris from the case of the hearing aid.
Behind The Ear
1) Examine the device for debris and remove with a soft brush or cloth.
2) Remove the earmold to clean it. Some ear moulds can become discoloured over time, wiping them clean daily and soaking them in warm soapy water once a week will help. Make sure the moulds are completely dry before using them.
For any more information regarding cleaning your hearing aids contact our audiologists today.
17 Jan 2024
What is Tinnitus? Understanding the Ringing in Your Ears
Tinnitus, often described as a ringing, buzzing, or humming sound in the ears without any external source, affects millions worldwide. While commonly referred to as a condition, tinnitus is more accurately a symptom of an underlying issue rather than a disease in itself. Understanding its causes, effects, and management can significantly improve the quality of life for those experiencing it.
6 Dec 2023
Winter Ear Care Tips 2024
As we revel in the festive season it's crucial not to overlook the care of one of our most vital senses: hearing. Christmas time brings with it a plethora of sounds, from carolers singing sweet melodies to the crackling of fireplace logs and the laughter of loved ones. Ensuring optimal ear health during this time is essential for fully enjoying these auditory delights.
23 Nov 2023
Exploring the Connection Between Cognitive Decline and Hearing Loss
Studies have consistently shown a correlation between hearing loss and cognitive decline, with many researchers now positing a causal relationship. The link between the two can be explained through various mechanisms, shedding light on the complex interplay between auditory perception and cognitive function.
16 Nov 2023
Breaking the Silence: Understanding the Stigma Surrounding Hearing Loss and Hearing Aids
Hearing loss affects millions of people worldwide, with 12.1 million people in the U.K also having hearing loss. Yet a pervasive stigma surrounds this common condition and the use of hearing aids. This stigma, rooted in misconceptions and societal attitudes, often leads individuals to delay seeking help and adopting assistive devices. Understanding the reasons behind the stigma is essential for fostering a more inclusive and supportive environment for those with hearing loss.
18 Oct 2023
Protecting Your Ears: Essential Tips for Autumn and Winter in the UK
As autumn leaves fall and winter approaches in the United Kingdom, it's not just your skin that needs extra care. Your ears, often overlooked, are equally susceptible to the harsh weather conditions that these seasons bring. Here are some essential tips for keeping your ears safe during autumn and winter.
25 Sep 2023
The Sound of Good Health: A Comprehensive Guide to Ear Care
When it comes to health and well-being, it's easy to overlook the importance of ear care. The truth is, our ears play a vital role in our day-to-day lives, and neglecting them can lead to a host of problems. In the United Kingdom, a growing number of individuals are realizing the significance of proper ear care and taking steps to protect their hearing.